Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Waking Up


Dreaming was such a wonderful thing. Especially when, in dreams, everyone was happy and there and Renolds wasn’t being a pain in the ass and Astrid was being human… Then someone decided it was a wonderful idea to pull on various limbs until you sit up, flailing and throwing covers around.

“What the fuck?!” I demanded, jutting an elbow into the nearest surface. Unfortunately, I missed my target of Renolds by a yard and rammed my bone into the bed post.

“This is unacceptable! We are going to be normal, mostly sober people who get the fuck out of bed!” Renolds stood there, pushily and stern.

“No thank you.” What day is it? When was the last time I woke up? When was the last time I showered? By the feel of it, not in a few days… Ew.

“I refuse to accept that answer. You’ve been sleeping for the majority of two and a half weeks. And why? Because some bitch won’t talk to you after she said that she loves you. I’m not complaining, I mean, you spent a good deal of those nights in bed with me. Unfortunately, I need out of bed too. Tonight, we’re going out and finding other people!”

“So you need to sleep with someone other than me?”

“Life lesson one,” she pushed my comment aside with a flip of her hair, “Don’t let the flaws of humanity get in the way of your happiness. Life lesson two: happiness is never found at the bottom of a bottle. Life lesson three: happiness can be found at the bottom of a shot or two.”

Renolds started digging through the closet, pulling out little-mini this and I-have-no-fear that. I, on the other hand, piled the covers back around me in my little nest.

“Four: dance. Always. Five, six, and seven: dance with every intention you’re holding back. If you want to friend-zone the person, dance like the nerdy white girl you are. If you want to take the person back to yours for a little co-mingling, show them you’re worth it. Eight: you’re only a whore if you’ve slept with everyone in the room – and the room is fairly filled. Nine: lose the inhibitions. And ten: get your goddamn ass out of bed before I flip the mattress. And don’t think I can’t! I may be small but I’m 100% kickass.”

So, I got up. I rediscovered the sun, felt its burning rays, and cried just a little bit. How much longer until it was acceptable to sleep again?

“Find clothing. Unless, of course, you’d rather not wear something. It’d be wonderfully innovative of you. I don’t think it’ll be taken too well, however…”

“Where are we going?”

“Wherever fate takes us! And, of course, somewhere with music louder than our heartbeats and alcohol stronger than our common sense.”

Well, I thought, I may as well do something with my life. The sun was beginning to crash into the horizon. The moon already peaking up over its perch. If the moon could wake up, I suppose I could as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment