Sunday, June 2, 2013

Two Weeks Later


Waking up exactly 14 days after Astrid’s confession, I realized key details in my life were missing. I remembered counting the days and waiting for Astrid. Day after day, she ignored me. I believe I went to her apartment at one point. There’s also a very good chance I called her ten times that first day… I’m fairly certain Renolds kept me pretty drunk.

At some point along the way, Renolds wrapped an arm around my shoulder. She kissed my cheek and told me I was beautiful.

Well… she whispered it and simultaneously kissed my neck.

That pretty much explains why I woke up in Renolds’ bed that morning, frighteningly sober.

“What the hell has happened?” I ask as Renolds walks into the room, dressed for work.

Sighing, she shrugs. “There were too many drinks for me to remember… We shouldn’t be upset together. We support the other’s drinking habits. We’re like the Drunken Duo: designated driver not included. That’s probably why we stayed in most nights. Also probably why this happened…”

“Has Astrid called?”

She conveniently did not hear that.

“Renolds.”

Once again, she’s too focused on her sock drawer to listen to me.

“Renolds!”

“She hasn’t. I have to work. Will you be okay alone?”

“I’ll survive.”

“I invested in coffee if you can’t make it through the day,” she turned on her heels and walked out, slamming the door behind her.

What the hell is going on?

I spent the majority of the afternoon dozing in and out of sleep, trying to figure out how to spend my day. When I was debating how dangerously low my caffeine levels were, someone knocked.

Opening the door, I found Astrid shivering and biting her lip.

“Renolds here?”

“Uh… No. Why?”

She shrugged, looked around, and took off running down the hallway.

I was fairly certain my life events weren’t even real. In fact, I must have been hallucinating. Lack of coffee has that effect on people. Well, probably not, but it’s a nice excuse.

I decided it was time to go back to bed for awhile. When I wake up in another two weeks, maybe I’ll finally be ready to deal with life. Then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment